Tuesday 27 December 2016

Albums of the Year 2016

At the end of 2005 I was working in an office and most people had finished for Xmas. I was pretty bored to be honest. So I decided to put together some kind of metacritic list of the albums of the year.

I chose five publications and/or websites that had listed 50 (or more) of their best albums of the year. Selecting the top 50 I awarded 50 points for 1st, 49 for 2nd, and so on down to 1 point for 50th. I then crunched the numbers and made a list of the top 30 scoring.

This silly piece of time wasting proved to be quite popular so I continued and have done every year since. I normally send the e-mails round a few mates who've either expressed an interest or I'm trying to impress in some way. Since leaving my old job I've lost all the lists from 2005-2015. If anyone has them saved please get in touch.

Now I have a blog (and I've left my job) I'm gonna use this to disseminate the data. So, here we are, no photos, just a list of 2016's Top 30. Enjoy (or not)....

1.David Bowie - Blackstar
2.Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
3.Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
4.Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
5.Solange - A Seat At The Table
6.Beyonce - Lemonade
7.ANOHNI - Hopelessness
8.Frank Ocean - Blonde
9.Bon Iver - 22, A Million
10.Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
11.PJ Havey - Hope Six Demolition Project
12.Angel Olsen - My Woman
13.Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch
14.Skepta - Konnichiwa
15.Brian Eno - The Ship
16.Kanye West - The Life Of Pablo
17.Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book
18.Teenage Fanclub - Here
19.Lambchop - FLOTUS
20.A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
21.Ryley Walker - Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
22.Shirley Collins - Lodestar
23.Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
24.Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - EARS
25.Paul Simon - Stranger To Stranger
26.Anna Meredith - Varmints
27.Fat White Family - Songs For Our Mothers
28.Thee Oh Sees - Weird Exit
29.Car Seat Headrest - Teens Of Denial
30.Matmos - Ultimate Care II

sources:-

Pitchfork
the Quietus
The Wire
Uncut
Mojo

No comments:

Post a Comment